Result: York 1 Wednesday 1: McGugan saver for Owls

Owls Sam Hutchinson stops City's Josh Carson. Photo: Steve  Ellis
Owls Sam Hutchinson stops City's Josh Carson. Photo: Steve Ellis

Lewis McGugan registered on his Owls return as the Championship club secured a 1-1 draw in their pre-season friendly at League Two York City where the Owls had a following of 2,000 fans.

York City: Flinders; McCoy, Lowe, Winfield, McCombe, Straker; Summerfield, Berrett, Penn; Carson Oliver. Substitutes: Ilesanmi, Trialist A, Platt, Meikle, Ingham, Rzonca, Godfrey.

Sheffield Wednesday: Price; Palmer, Lees, Sasso, Helan; Melo, Lopez, Hutchinson; Matias, Wallace, Bus. Substitutes: Dielna, Loovens, Semedo, Lavery, Nuhiu, Dawson, Croasdale, McGugan, Vermijl, Lee, Meadows, Lachman, De Havilland, Wildsmith.

The midfielder, signed on a permanent basis from Watford on Thursday following two impressive loan spells at Hillsborough last season, tapped home in the 82nd minute to cancel out Marvin McCoy’s first half opener.

York tried to impose themselves in the early skirmishes and Vadaine Oliver latched on to Russell Penn’s lovely through ball before forcing Lewis Price into a smart stop, with Vincent Sasso clearing the loose ball to safety.

Adopting a 4-3-3 formation, the Owls certainly did have things their own way and Oliver, who used to be on their books, flicked on a punt upfield into the path of Penn, who was expertly denied by Price.

Marco Matias, Wednesday’s big-money summer signing from Nacional, almost seized on a loose back pass by James Berrett but Scott Flinders was alert and snuffed out the danger at the second attempt.

York carried the greater attacking threat and deservedly went ahead in the 33rd minute, Marvin McCoy tapping home from close range after Wednesday failed to cut out Josh Carson’s centre.

Moments later, the Owls nearly levelled things up as Tom Lees rose highest to meet Ross Wallace’s corner only to narrowly send his header off target.

Lavery and Lee both crowded out in the box from promising positions in the second half as the Owls search for the equaliser.

And it came from Lewis McGugan, who scored to celebrate his return to the club this week on a full deal.

McGugan’s first shot was saved but Matias kept the ball alive and McGugan had the simple task of tapping into an empty net.

Wednesday head coach Carlos Carvalhal freshened things up at the interval, making eight changes. Only Liam Palmer, Alex Lopez and Matias survived the half-time cull.

Michael Ingham produced a smart stop to foil McGugan just after the re-start.

Matias came close to equalising in the 53rd minute after racing on to Kieran Lee’s neat pass but the Portuguese forward dragged his shot wide when well-placed.

For all their methodical approach play, Wednesday created few chances as Carvalhal continued to rotate his squad. Caolan Lavery, named in the Northern Ireland squad following a promising finish to 2014/15 season, whipped in a low cross into the six-yard box which evaded Atdhe Nuhiu.

York had a decent shout for a penalty turned down in the 78th minute when substitute Lindon Meikle went down under a challenge by Darryl Lachman but the referee was not interested and awarded a goal kick.

But McGugan had the final say after dispossessing John McCombe. His first effort was initially saved by Ingham but Matias kept the ball alive and he tapped in to preserve the Owls’ unbeaten run in pre-season.