VIDEO: Carlos Carvalhal hails 'unbelieveable' Sheffield Wednesday after 1-0 win

Owls boss Carlos Carvalhal and Atdhe Nuhiu after the 1-0 win over Huddersfield
Owls boss Carlos Carvalhal and Atdhe Nuhiu after the 1-0 win over Huddersfield

Carlos Carvalhal described his team's performance as "unbelievable" after Sheffield Wednesday defeated Huddersfield Town 1-0.

Fernando Forestieri scored in the 83rd minute to secure a third-successive win to cement Wednesday's place in the Championship play-off positions.

Wednesday have also kept four successive clean sheets - five in six games - and Carvalhal said: "The players were unbelievable.

"Our players are focused and they are doing exactly what we intended for them to do.

"We knew we would get our moment and when that moment came Forestieri took his chance.

"We fought for the points and our defensive organisation was almost perfect."

Carvalhal said the aim was not clean sheets and added: "We don't care about clean sheets. We want to create chances and score goals."

Wednesday moved a step closer to the play-offs, but Carvalhal added: "I understand everybody is excited but the players are in the dressing room sipping water and everything is quiet. Nothing has changed."

Forestieri had a battle with Town skipper Mark Hudson and the centre-back came close to a red card and had to be substituted after a final warning from referee Iain Williamson 10 minutes into the second half.

FULL TIME REPORT: Huddersfield 0 Owls 1

Hudson was booked just before the break for a foul on Forestieri and seemed likely to get another after a stern lecture from Williamson after clashing with Forestieri again.

Carvalhal was furious on the touchline but - after the game - refused to dwell on the incident saying it was "clear" what had happened and declined to elaborate.

There were few chances in the match but Wednesday should have scored in the 73rd minute when former Town right-back Jack Hunt scooped his finish over the bar.

The winner came seven minutes from time when sub Lucas Joao crossed from the left for Forestieri to slide home at the back post.

Terriers head coach David Wagner said he had been left with no choice but to substitute Hudson and said: "It was very clear that next time the referee would send him off. We needed to finish the game with 11 men."

Wagner praised his side's defensive performance - describing Joel Lynch as "outstanding" - but said in attack the gulf between the sides was exposed.

"We restricted them to two chances and they scored one," said Wagner. "But we were unable to create chances ourselves and it was clear the first team to score would win the game.

"It was an interesting tactical game by two good sides. Our defence was good but we did not cause them enough problems.

"It hurts to concede after 83 minutes but it happens and it's an experience we must learn from.

"We saw there is a distance between us and the top six teams but we will get closer."