Iain Hume, on target for Rovers
Iain Hume, on target for Rovers

DONCASTER Rovers continued their curious record of winning away and losing away when Iain Hume gave them the points at Fratton Park.. It was their sisxth win on the road.

Visiiting skipper Rob Jones conceded a seventh minute corner with a clearance from a right-wing cross.

McLeod, Pompey’s leading scorer with nine goals, shot wide of the left-hand post with a weak shot.

Pompey keeper Andersen got down to smother a low cross into the box from wide out on the right by Cotterill.

Cotterill laid the ball off to Woods from a 16th minute free-kick and Michalik did well to tip his shot over the bar for a corner.

McLeod shot into the side netting with a close range angled shot three minutes later when Pompey returned to the attack.

Rovers took the lead on 24 minutes, HUME poking the ball past the keeper from a couple of yards out after latching onto Woods’ left-wing cross.

It was the Preston loanee’s fourth goal in Rovers colours.

Keegan blocked a Pompey shot on goal at the expense of a 28th minute corner, which turned to nothing.

Portsmouth midfielder Williamson was booked for a foul on Martin Woods on 34 minutes, which resulted in the Rovers midfielder needing treatment before being able to continue.

Spurr, again filling in at centre-back, cut out a dangerous-looking long ball meant for McLeod on 38 minutes.

Pompey returned to the attack and Russell tried his luck from around 25 yards out, as did McLeod shortly after, but on both occasions keeper Woods made a comfortable save.

Left-back Husband produced a timely tackle on Williamson on the edge of the box as the former Sheffield United man looked to pick out a team-mate in front of goal.



Rovers.................... 1

Rovers took the game to Pompey at the start of the second half - Cotterill getting past his marker only to see Michalik beat Paynter to his cross in the box.

Russell was booked for a 52nd minute foul on Husband.

Pompey put Rovers under their first sustained pressure of the half and forced Rovers into several desperate defensive clearances without being able to gain any advantage.

Rovers midfielder Keegan was booked for a foul.

Pompey continued to pile on the pressure and McLeod had the ball in the back of the net on 57 minutes only to have his ‘goal’ disallowed for offside.

Hume set up a shooting chance on the edge of the box for Harper, only to see his shot blocked by a defender in close proximity.

Howard became the third Pompey player to be booked following a foul on Griffin, who had pushed on down the right flank.

Pompey keeper Andersen did well to keep out Jones’ header from a 78th minute corner at the expense of another corner.

Pompey made the game’s first change a minute later, Harris replacing Williamson in a tactical switch.

Brown replaced Paynter, who had got through a lot of work, on 75 minutes.

McLeod missed a glorious chance to level the scores three minutes later, shooting over in a one-on-one with Woods - who had come off his line to try and close him down - from a throughball.

Keegan latched onto a half clearance on 80 minutes, only to shoot high from over 25 yards out. Syers came on for