Real Sheffield FC need to stand up

Andy Ring heads in steels 2nd goal
Andy Ring heads in steels 2nd goal

An away-day super show followed by another dose of home blues ... will the real Sheffield FC stand up please.

Chris Dolby was delighted to see his young, inexperienced squad bounce back from two down to run out 5-2 winners at Division One South rivals Goole AFC. Cusworth led the way with a brace and others came from Gregory, Ruddiforth and new signing Oliver Banks.

Then on Tuesday they returned to their BT Local Business Stadium to face high-flying newcomers Newcastle Town and again conceded four goals for the third successive time at home when, despite a Gavin Smith goal, they crashed to a 4-1 defeat.

They continue their run of facing four of the top six clubs in the league when second-placed Carlton Town are the visitors on Saturday while top-of-the-table Barwell await them next Tuesday.

I saw Stocksbridge Park play their best football of the season in their 3-2 win at play-off placed Kendal Town, to ease their relegation worries. It was a remarkable day as Man of the Match Davies and Lovett were strong in defence, Stirrup and Marrison commanding in midfield while Ward and Ring caused problems up front. In truth, every player was outstanding as Stirrup, Ring and an own goal gave them a three goal lead and although Kendal scored twice in the final two minutes it gave this one-sided affair a flattering scoreline.

Stocksbridge, who are now three places and points above the relegation places, entertain Northwich Victoria on Saturday and then face a home League Cup quarter final against Matlock Town next Tuesday.

In the Kool Sports North Counties East League Premier Division bottom of the table Hallam, once again found last Saturday’s home fixture against Thackley washed out. New manager Julian Watts finally got to see his side in action on Tuesday when, with two new players in their side, they travelled to Second Division Barton Town in the League Cup third round. They were level at 2-2 thanks to goals by Longhurst and an own goal with minutes remaining but a quick-fire penalty and another goal gave Barton a flattering 4-2 passage into the next round.

With all eyes now firmly focused on avoiding relegation it could not be harder on Saturday when they visit second-placed Farsley Celtic.

Next to the bottom Dinnington Town gave top of the table Parkgate a real scare as Arnault gave them a deserved interval lead. They were eventually beaten 2-1, both goals coming from Worsfold.

Sadly they returned to Phoenix Park to face a fast improving Scarborough Athletic on Tuesday and crashed 7-1 after conceding five before half-time. Liam Cartledge scored their consolation goal minutes from time.

Dinnington host Hall Road Rangers on Saturday and travel to in-form neighbours Maltby Main next Wednesday.

I was at Green Lane on Tuesday to see if Parkgate could gain revenge over Winterton Rangers but it was the visitors who came out deserved winners in a 4-3 thriller. Parkgate’s defence gifted them goals with keeper Jenkinson having a nightmare but they could have salvaged a point late on. Two goals by Man of the Match Worsfold and a first for Allott gave them hope but it left the title race wide open again. They face a tough test at Scarborough Athletic on Saturday and follow that up with an equally hard League Cup third round encounter at Pickering Town next Tuesday.

The Team of the Division though is Maltby Main who travelled to Pickering Town and came away with a splendid 3-1 win thanks to two goals by Chris Woods and one from Greg Mason. It takes them to 11 games without defeat and they’ve scored 30 goals and conceded only four in their last six games. The fifth placed Miners now face two successive home games against Nostell Miners Welfare and neighbours Dinnington Town,

Staveley continued their excellent run in Division One with a 3-0 success over visitors Eccleshill United. Jordan Eagers hit his first two goals for the club and Thornton hit a great 50 yard lob to seal the points. Two goals by Thornton gave them a 2-0 victory over AFC Emley on Tuesday to leave them seven points clear at the top.

Handsworth’s home game with Worsbrough Bridge was washed out and they now have to wait until next Wednesday before playing against Grimsby Borough at Olivers Mount.