Reds Match Report: Hull 0 Barnsley 1

Reds winner: Chris Dagnall  scores
Reds winner: Chris Dagnall scores

BARNSLEY picked up a £120,000 windfall for reaching the FA Cup fifth round with a fine 1-0 win at Hull City in the 100th meeting between the two sides in all competitions.Having treated their fans to an FA Cup semi-final five seasons ago, it’s little wonder manager David Flitcroft was dreaming of another cup run to capture the imagination of supporters.

Recalled Bobby Hassell was employed as a sweeper in a back three with Wiseman and Golbourne used as wing-backs as the Reds looked to stretch the hosts on their home turf.

Hull started the brighter of the two but neither team could create a clearcut chance on a bitterly cold afternoon.

The visitors as they nearly went behind when defender Chester outjumped the Reds’ defence and headed wide from a good position.

Wiseman was booked after a collision with Brady. It looked a harsh decision but from the resulting free-kick Steele was forced to save Koren’s curling free-kick which looked destined for the top corner.

Brady whipped in a lovely ball in the 27th minute and Olofinjana was unlucky to head wide.

A yellow card then was dished out to Brady after a foul on Wiseman with both teams battling to get on top.

Etuhu was the third player to be booked in what looked like another baffling decision following a 50/50 challenge with Quinn.

Harewood had the Reds’ first shot of the half six minutes before the break, but it wasn’t on target and was fortunately deflected for a corner.

Mellis had a shot charged down as the Reds suddenly had some impact, while at the other Hassell made a telling challenge as the Tigers’ countered.

Etuhu tried his luck from 35 yards and nearly caught out keeper Jakupovic tracking back, with the ball landing on the roof of the net.

Quinn had a penalty appeal turned down on the stroke of half-time after he went down in the box after a challenge from Etuhu.




After just 57 seconds of the restart Harewood rifled a powerful right-foot shot straight at Jakupovic.

Steele then pulled off a fine save to deny Brady who let rip with a fierce dipping drive from the edge of the box.

Reds’ boss Flitcroft shuffled his pack with winger O’Brien brought on to liven up proceedings. Midfielder Mellis made way.

Hull made their first change of the afternoon when Simpson replaced Olofinjana shortly after the hour mark as the home side went in search of a winning goal with a more attacking formation.

Flitcroft had hoped to bring on superb-sub Rose, but with Wiseman injured he opted for a safer move to bring on Stones.

Finally the deadlock was broken in the 70th minute when CHRIS DAGNALL turned the ball in from close-range after a succession of blocks from Jakupovic.

Some good work from sub O’Brien led to Golbourne having two shots on target, both of which were palmed away by the keeper.

But the ball fell invitingly for Dagnall as he pounced to snatch his third goal in as many games. The striker went down injured in the process.

The Reds were given a scare less than a minute later when Simpson lashed a fierce shot inches wide of the target as the hosts came within a whisker of levelling.

Tigers’ boss Bruce took off his son Alex and introduced sub Stewart as the visitors went for an equaliser.

Goalscorer Dagnall was then taken off and replaced by defender Foster.

Harewood forced Jakupovic into a good save in a frantic finish. Brady rifled over the crossbar from a free-kick before Proschwitz forced a smart save from Steele.

O’Brien could have doubled the lead on but he blazed high and wide.