Rovers lose: Doncaster Rovers 0 Crawley 1


doncaster Rovers conceded a late goal at home to Crawley, who were making their first ever visit to Rovers..

Crawley full-back Hunt was fortunate to escape a first minute booking following a foul on Bennett.

Bennett won Rovers another free-kick after being fouled when trying to push past several defenders. He also took a stray elbow to the face for his troubles.

The ball came back to Woods from the resulting free-kick and he tried his luck from 25 yards out only to see Paul Jones in the Crawley goal make an easy collection.

Paynter got a foot to Cotterill’s right-wing cross at the near post but Jones got down well to smother the ball.

Rovers skipper Rob Jones used his height to beat Ajose to a cross on the edge on the box from a 15th minute corner.

Left-back Spurr just failed to get on the end of Paynter’s angled shot, which was going wide of the far post after Cotterill had done well down the right.

Paynter shot wide of the right-hand post from just inside the area in a one-on-one with Jones on 38 minutes.

Adams’ near 30-yard-shot just grazed the crossbar.

Paynter again failed to test Jones with his header from another dangerous-looking cross into the box by Cotterill.




Bennett shot just over from a similar position to the goal he scored at Walsall last weekend.

Adams shot high, direct from a 25-yard free-kick on 52 minutes.

Bennett set up Cotterill for a 20-yard shot but Jones didn’t have to move to make a clean collection.

There was a buzz around the ground when James Coppinger started to warm up down the West Stand touchline.

Torres shot well wide of the far post - the referee ignoring his claims that the ball had taken a deflection off a Rovers player.

Jones, whose centre-back combination with McCombe had been a feature of the game so far, beat Alexander to a cross to clear the danger.

Bennett was well wide of the left-hand post with what appeared to be a curling shot from 25 yards out.

McFadzean had beat full-back Quinn in an aerial challenge from a free-kick only to head well wide of the far post on 63 minutes.

Rovers made a change a minute later with Coppinger coming on for striker Brown.

Woods, who had had little to do this half, got down well to smother AJOSE’s angled shot. But he could do nothing to deny the same player seconds later as he got a touch to Adams’ angled 20-yarder on 88 minutes.

Woods had to be at full stretch to deny Alexander a second Crawley goal in the last minute of stoppage time.


FREE Star Football App: Download now for your mobile device - includes reports, stats and much more - CLICK HERE.