Scunthorpe United 2-2 Chesterfield (final score)

Scunthorpe vs Chesterfield -Ritchie Humphreys battles for the ball - Pic By James Williamson
Scunthorpe vs Chesterfield -Ritchie Humphreys battles for the ball - Pic By James Williamson

Chesterfield came back from two goals down tonight to keep alive their hopes of playing Derby County in the FA Cup fourth round.

The Spireites, who are in seventh position in the third flight, tied with Scunthorpe, who are 11 places behind them in League One.

Scunthorpe, under the command of Mark Robins, had lost only once in their last 13 games.

So Glanford Park fans were tipping a home win tonight.

But the home support was thanking their stars they were still in the tie, at the final whistle, after Chesterfield had gallantly fought back from 2-0 down.

The game goes to a replay and the winner will then travel to the iPro Stadium.

The Iron had the better of early exchanges, with Neal Bishop’s header causing a scare and Paddy Madden shooting wide.

Eoin Doyle had a dig at the other end but Spireites went behind on 17 minutes, Alex Davey’s right footed shot from outside the box finding the top corner.

It was the first professional goal for the Chelsea loanee.

Chesterfield concentrated their efforts for an equaliser by exploring the right flank, but the Iron were stacked well.

The combination of Tendayi Darikwa and Romuald Boco looked likely to bear fruit on one raid, but Sam Slocome foiled them.

Home striker Lyle Taylor had the last word of the half though...after a defensive slip up, he wriggled clear and slotted low past Tommy Lee.

Chesterfield almost got the goal their possession deserved shortly into the second period but Slocombe made a point-blank save from Armand Gnanduillet.

They carried on with a bombardment of the home goal, with Sam Clucas defied by another cracking save from the 26-year-old home grown custodian, Slocombe.

He tipped the effort over - causing 1,663 Spireites followers to hold their heads in their hands.

Chesterfield had forced 11 corners at this stage - but the pressure hadn’t done them any good.

But they broke through on 70 minutes when Doyle converted a penalty, after Gary Roberts had been fouled by Sean McAllister.

Slocombe was sent the wrong way by the spot kick.

Doyle almost added a second with a header as Chesterfield piled forward.

But with six minutes remaining, Jay O’Shea’s effort found bottom left corner from 10 yards, for 2-2.

And it was only through another fine save from Slocombe that prevented Chesterfield from getting the winner.

A fantastic achievement in getting back on terms - now Paul Cook can plot a home win in the replay.

Scunthorpe: Slocome, McAllister, Madden, Bishop, Adelakun, Taylor, Boyce, McSheffrey, Williams, Llera, Davey. Subs: Weaver, Nolan, Canavan, Myrie-Williams, Hawkridge, Wootton, Mosanya.

Chesterfield: Lee, Darikwa, Hird, Raglan, Clucas, Boco, Morsy, Humphreys, Roberts, Doyle, Gnanduillet. Subs: Wright, Jones, O’Shea, Talbot, Ariyibi, Banks, Gardner.

Ref: Mark Haywood (West Yorks.)