Sheffield FC in cup thriller

Stocksbridge midfielder Jacob Lever tussles  for the ball in Steels 2-0 FA Cup defeat against Bamber Bridge
Stocksbridge midfielder Jacob Lever tussles for the ball in Steels 2-0 FA Cup defeat against Bamber Bridge

Sheffield FC live to fight another day after a pulsating FA Cup tie at Basford United.

Club came back from two-goals down to lead 3-2 before the Midlands Football League leaders hit back to snatch a replay at Dronfield tomorrow.

But Stocksbridge Park Steels made an early exit with a disappointing 2-0 home defeat against Evo-Stik North side Bamber Bridge.

A very strong Basford side including former Villa and United midfielder Lee Hendrie and experienced striker Ruben Wiggins-Thomas had Sheffield seemingly heading for the exit door as they raced into a 2-0 lead in 10 minutes.

Tyeisse Nightingale fired Basford into a third minute lead with Aaron Webster doubling the advantage from the penalty spot after Wiggins-Thomas had been bundled over.

However, Club got a foothold in the tie on 15 minutes when Richard Stirrup converted Matt Roney’s cross to make it 2-1. Sheffield made a bright start to the second half and deservedly equalised on 56 minutes. Joe Green’s long clearance was laid-off by Ashley Longstaff into the path of Joel Purkiss to finish with aplomb.

Eight minutes later Sheffield had turned the tie on its head when a ball into the box found Roney whose shot took a deflection wrong-footing former Club keeper Martin Kearney. B

ut Basford tied the scores up at 3-3 in 73rd minute with Nightingale scoring his second with a cross-come shot. James Knowles might have won it for Club late on but put his shot straight at Kearney.

Stocksbridge fell behind after 18 minutes when Alister Waddecar scored in the top corner. Matt extended the lead just before the half hour with a deflected shot that left keeper Jamie Flynn wrong-footed.

Only some excellent saves from Flynn that had kept the score down at the interval. Steels tried to get back in the game after the break with Jacob Lever shooting narrowly wide after a fine run, while substitute Korey Dyer-Stewart saw his shot well blocked but the damage had already been done.

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic are still searching for their first win of the season after a last- minute goal at Nantwich Town condemned the Blues to a 3-2 defeat. Gavin Allot had given Frickley the lead five minutes before the break when Gavin Allott got onto the end of a long ball to steer home. Nantwich hit back with two goals after the break to lead 2-1 but Frickley thought they had salvaged a point as Macauley Parkinson scrambled home the equaliser only for the hosts to snatch all-three points deep into stoppage time.

Buxton picked up their first win of the season with a 2-1 victory at Marine. Liam Hardy gave the Bucks a 14th minute and although the home side equalised four minutes later, Shaun Tuton blasted home the winner 15 minutes from time after bursting into the box.