Hallam hope for return to form

A heavy defeat last week for Sheffield Hallam women was more a blow to pride than league position with fourth already sewn up.

Liverpool Sefton, who have their sights set on a return to the National Hockey League, were the team handing out the 5-1 drubbing in Merseyside.

Hallam might have expected to compete on equal terms after a run of seven matches undefeated, during which time they found the net 36 times.

A return to form is hoped for in their final match at Abbeydale Park on Sunday (1.30pm), against second-place Ben Rhydding. The visitors need to win to snatch promotion to the HEL away from Sefton who are currently two points ahead of them.

Hallam will fancy their chances of thwarting Rhydding after they drew 1-1 away with them three weeks ago.Whilst defeat against Sefton was disappointing Hallam would love to deny their Yorkshire counterparts promotion.

The women’s second team dropped to second bottom of the North Division 2 East after a 2-1 defeat by Rotherham.

Rotherham had to wait until almost the last hit of the game for victory having clawed their way back from a one goal half time deficit. Huddersfield Dragons visit Abbeydale this Saturday (11.45am).

It was a poor weekend all round for the women as the third team went down 6-1 at Tadcaster Magnets and the fourths were hammered 13-0 at Ben Rhydding. Matches at Ben Rhydding and Scarborough at home await the teams respectively this weekend.

The men’s third team beat Sheffield University Bankers 6-2, which improved their finish of third place last season to second this one. And Hallam Men’s fourths secured the double over Ramgarhia with some good controlled sensible hockey.

Chris Wilkins returned to action with a brace and was probably the pick of the players especially after his close range reverse stick hit in front of the keeper for Hallam’s third goal in a 3-0 win.

Sheffield Hallam Girls Under 12s are the Yorkshire Champions after beating Wakefield 3-1 in the final at Pocklington School.

Victories over York, Hull B and Wakefield put them through to the semi-final where they overcame Hull A 5-4 on penalty strokes after the match had ended 2-2.