Basketball: London Lions 61 Sheffield Sharks 81

Sheffield Sharks' Allen Payne. Picture: Andrew Roe
Sheffield Sharks' Allen Payne. Picture: Andrew Roe

Sheffield Sharks completed 2014 in style with a double-winning weekend away from the snow in the Steel City.

On Saturday night the Sharks made the long journey to Guildford and came away with a 60-53 victory over Surrey United before staying in the south for a match on the Olympic Park against London Lions on Sunday.

Sheffield Sharks' Nick Lewis. Picture: Andrew Roe.

Sheffield Sharks' Nick Lewis. Picture: Andrew Roe.

Sharks turned in one of the best performances of the season to beat the Lions 81-61 and move to sixth in the British Basketball League table.

Atiba Lyons teams were fast starters with an Allen Payne two giving them an early 24-10 lead at the Copper Box.

Payne was in excellent form all afternoon with a team high 22 points.

And he was complemented by fellow American John Barber who showed again that he is an astute mid-season pick up by Lyons.

Sheffield Sharks' John Barber. Picture: Andrew Roe

Sheffield Sharks' John Barber. Picture: Andrew Roe

Barber’s three made it 40-22 in the second quarter as Sharks lead peaked at 42-22 before London fought back to trail 44-29 at half time.

The home side cut the gap to 44-39 after a strong opening to the third quarter but from then on Sharks dominated.

A Payne two stopped the rot as Sheffield went on a 19-2 burst to lead 63-41.

London hit the final four points of the period but could get no closer than 63-47 early in the final quarter as Sharks cruised home to an impressive victory.

Point guard Nick Lewis dug the Sharks out of a fourth quarter hole on Saturday night as a late surge saw them past Surrey United 60-53.

In the lowest scoring game in the BBL Championship this season, Lewis led the way with 21 points, including eight in an unstoppable 13-0 fourth quarter run.

Sharks led 31-21 at half time but allowed their hosts to have the better of the third quarter as Surrey took a 43-42 advantage into the fourth quarter.

Sheffield failed to score for the opening six minutes of the fourth and looked buried as United hit the first nine points, leading 52-42 on a pair of Donatas Visockis free-throws.

And that was when Lewis came alight for the second time in the game, firstly hitting a three-pointer and then immediately stealing the ball to dunk home.

He then forced a turnover from which Barber scored, and tied the game at 52 on another triple, scoring eight points in little over a minute.

The surge was complete when Barber added another triple of his own, the run becoming 13-0.