Match report: Sheffield Eagles 34 Swinton Lions 10

Tom Armstrong celebrates his try with his teammates.
Tom Armstrong celebrates his try with his teammates.

Sheffield Eagles had to rely on a second half-try burst from centre Menzie Yere to sweep past Swinton Lions and keep their lead at the top of the Championship.

It completed a league double, stretched their winning run to 15 games but a frustrating first 40 minutes was a far from the ideal curtain raiser for the Challenge Cup quarter-final against London Broncos next week.

Yere got the Eagles off to a great start finishing a move by Michael Knowles and Quentin Laulu-Togagae to score his 100th try from the club. Dominic Brambani added the goal. There was no try rush with an interception try by Ian Watson and goal by Craig Harvey putting Swinton level.

Eagles dominated possession but handling errors and the lack of decisive final pass saw them squander the advantage.

Frustrations boiled over with a clash between Watson and Eagles Misi Taulapapa put on report.

The Eagles edged ahead with in the final minute of the half with Laulu-Togagae providing the pass that sent centre Tom Armstrong over for 10-6 lead at the break.

It was a more positive Eagles after the restart with a break by James Davey sending in Matt Garside.

The screw was turned with Yere completing his hat-trick of tries both set up by Patch Walker with a short pass then a chip kick. Yere stormed in for his fourth try and 31st of the season but Swinton hit back with a try from Matt Sarsfield.

In the final minutes another clash between Taulapapa and Watson was also put on report.

Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Turner, Yere, Armstrong, Taulapapa; Walker, Brambani; Battye, Henderson, Stringer, Knowles, Szostak, Hirst. Subs: Davey, Roche,

Green, Garside.

Tries: Yere 3, 46, 52, 56, Armstrong 40, Garside 44,

Goals: Brambani 5/6.

Swinton: Burke; Penny, Nanyn, Mendeika, Ormsby; Harvey, Watson; Riley,

Smith, Tahraoui, Laithwaite, Sarsfield, Hawkyard. Subs: Mills, Ainscough,

Brown, Thomas.

Tries: Watson 6, Sarsfield 66,

Goals: Harvey 1/ 2.

Referee: Joe Cobb.

Penalties: 12-7

Attendance: 814.