Rugby League Report: Sheffield Eagles 44 Oldham Roughyeds 20

Menzie Yere opens the scoring against Oldham
Menzie Yere opens the scoring against Oldham

Sheffield Eagles eased into the fifth round of the Challenge Cup after a 44-20 victory over Oldham Roughyeds at The Keepmoat Stadium.

The Eagles ran in eight tries against their Championship One opponents to ensure their name will be in the hat alongside Rugby League’s elite for Tuesday’s fifth round draw.

Director of Rugby Mark Aston gave former Hull KR hooker Keal Carlile a full debut, whilst Dominic Brambani was recalled to the side as the Eagles’ chief tinkered with his line-up.

Aston also sprung a surprise by including winger Rob Worrincy who passed a late fitness test after suffering with a knee injury. There was also a place for Jamie Langley who finally appeared in the 17 for the first time following an injury hit start to his Eagles’ career.

The visitors didn’t even have time to touch the ball before the Eagles opened the scoring through the in-form Menzie Yere as he barged over down the left. Pat Walker made no mistake with the conversion.

It wasn’t long before the Eagles struck again when Carlile made an instant impact after good work down the left allowing Scott Turner to score in the corner. Walker converted to make it 12-0.

The visitors stopped the early flood of points but they were powerless to halt Michael Knowles heading over the whitewash on 27 minutes, again the ammunition was supplied by the hands of Carlile. Walker added the extras.

Oldham who hit back five minutes later when Mick Learmouth somehow squeezed the ball over the line. Lewis Palfrey converted to make it 18-6.

Just before the break Duane Straugheir re-enforced the Eagles dominance with their fourth try following a handling error from Phil Joy. Walker converted.

Quentin Laulu-Togagae rubbed further salt into the wounds by dancing over with the last play of the half. Walker converted and that was 30-6.

The Eagles continued the barrage in the second stanza after quick hands allowed Worrincy to score in the corner. Walker failed to convert.

Steve Thorpe added to Oldham’s woes after he benefitted from a Brambani pass to dive over. Walker converted.

But Roughyeds fought back with two tries as Aston’s side took their foot off the gas. First Adam Clay dived over in the corner and then Josh Crowley made a further dent in the Eagles’ lead after a slick pass inside by Jarrod Ward. Both conversion attempts failed.

Thorpe powered his way through the Oldham line after an incisive break by Turner to further increase the lead but it was the Roughyeds who had the final say with Crowley scrapping his way over to reduce the damage.

Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Turner, Yere, Smeaton, Worrincy, Walker, Brambani, Battye, Carlile, Tonks, Knowles, Straugheir, Davies. Subs: Thorpe, Burns, Musolino, Langley.

Scorers: Tries: Yere (2), Turner (9), Knowles (27), Straugheir (39), Laulu-Togagae (40), Worrincy (48), Thorpe (54, 74). Goals: Walker 6/8.

Oldham: Holmes; Clay, Gee, Ford, Ward, Palfrey, Roper, Neal, Owen, Joy, Tyson, Langtree, Thompson. Subs: Files, Hughes, Learmonth, Crowley.

Scorers: Tries: Learmouth (32), Clay (61), Crowley (67, 77) Goals: Palfrey 1 /2, Roper 1/2

Referee: Andy Sweet

Attendance: 484