Rugby League: Sheffield Eagles 30 Doncaster 12

Rugby League
Rugby League

Sheffield Eagles were given a huge scare before eventually seeing off basement club Doncaster 30-12 at a rain soaked Keepmoat Stadium.

The Dons were the better side for large portions of a keenly contested South Yorkshire derby, but ran out of steam as the Eagles took command in the final 20 minutes, to maintain their place in the top four of the Kingstone Press Championship.

Dominic Brambani, Quentin Laulu-Togagae, Steve Thorpe and Pat Walker were all missing for Mark Aston’s side, but Misi Taulapapa and Kyle Briggs returned.

Doncaster gave winger Tom Hodson his first appearance at The Keepmoat since his return to the club, whilst Jack Logan made his first professional game.

The Dons belied the form book to make a blistering start and took advantage of a spill from Taulapapa in the in-goal area, with Jansin Turgot the grateful beneficiary for the first try. Dave Scott converted.

Doncaster dominated the rest of the half but were made to pay for not adding to their points tally. Just before the break Cory Aston weaved his way over the line, and Briggs brought the scores level with the kick.

After the break Scott missed the chance to edge the ‘visitors’ back in front when he missed a penalty. The Dons weren’t to rue the miss though when a high kick from Curtis Naughton was allowed to bounce and Hodson pounced to ground in the corner. Scott converted.

Just before the hour the Eagles finally clicked into gear and, after a period of pressure, Mitch Stringer barged his way over the line and Briggs added the extras for a level game.

Aston’s side now sniffed blood and visibly upped the tempo. They eventually took the lead after Danny Nicklas’ pass was intercepted by Briggs who ran in for an easy score. Briggs also converted.

Victory was sealed inside the last 20 minutes when John Davies dived over for his first Eagles try before Michael Knowles completed the scoring to seal a South Yorkshire double.