SHEFFIELD EAGLES: Record night for Quentin as Eagles fight for draw

Record breaker: Quentin Laulu-Togagae scored two tries in four minutes to earn Eagles a draw
Record breaker: Quentin Laulu-Togagae scored two tries in four minutes to earn Eagles a draw

Sheffield Eagles 28 Fatherstone Rovers 28

SHEFFIELD Eagles staged a great second-half comeback to earn a draw with Championship leaders Featherstone.

Twice the Eagles came back after going behind with fullback Quentin Laulu-Togagae crossing twice to break the club’s 20-year record for tries in a season.

Rovers took the lead with a passing move sending in ex-Eagles winger Tangi Ropati at the corner. Liam Finn added the goal. Two penalties gave the Eagles a chance of a quick response but an interception by Nathan Chappell cleared the danger.

Rovers increased the lead with a break by Tim Spears splitting line before his chip kick was touched down by stand-off Andy Kain.

Featherstone dominated possession for long spells with the Eagles having to rely on Dom Brambani’s field kicking to get them out of their half.

Kain claimed his second try touching down under the posts a Finn kick with the scrum-half adding the goal.

Eagles sneaked a try on half-time with second rower Michael Knowles winning the race to a Dane McDonald kick. Brambani added the goal to cut Rovers lead to 16-6.

Two tries in three minutes soon after the restart saw the Eagles blast their way into the lead. Centre Scott Turner touched down a kick from Knowles on the final tackle and substitute hooker James Davey went in under the posts scooting in from dummy. Brambani added both goals.

Rovers came back with fullback Ian Hardman taking an offload before racing 60 metres and collecting his own kick ahead to go over. Finn added the goal.

They stretched the lead with Ropati taking a Finn kick and offloading to Kain who went 30 metres for his hat-trick try. Finn added the extras.

Eagles hit back yet again with Quentin Laulu-Togagae going in for two tries in four minutes to break the club’s record for tries in a season with 32.

Finn added the second conversion to level the scores at 28-28.

In the final minute Finn and Brambani failed with drop goal attempts.

Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Morrison, Yere, Taulapapa, Turner; McDonald, Brambani; Howieson, Henderson, Stringer, Knowles, Scott, Szostak. Subs: Davey, Green, Hepworth, Higgins.

Referee: Gareth Hewer.

Attendance: 1,449.