The ‘Year of Making’ festival is taking place throughout Sheffield in 2016 - and naturally part of the focus will be on the city’s proud heritage in the cutlery industry.
It is not clear when the company George Ibberson came into being, but records show that in the mid-1700s there was a Joseph Ibberson and son making cutlery on Sheffield’s Norfolk Street. In 1873, the company registered its famous Stradivarius Violin trademark with The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire. This mark would go on to gain legendary status with knife enthusiasts.
Razor-sharp blades and virtually unbreakable handles made the company the knife of choice for tradesmen and farmers the world over. George Ibberson was owned and run by the family until the early 1980s. In 1983 it was acquired by and became part of The Egginton Group.