Blood oranges have a short season, roughly January to March, so I always make the most of their gorgeous colour and flavour while I can.
They are extremely versatile with their tart flavour lending itself perfectly to sweet and savoury dishes. These pistachio and blood orange cookies are utterly delicious and incredibly easy to bake whilst being different enough to impress.
For the cookies
250g unsalted butter, cubed
140g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
375g plain flour
50g pistachios, crushed
For the blood orange glaze
340g icing sugar
zest of 1 blood orange
3-4 tbsp. of blood orange juice
1. Using a wooden spoon or mixer, beat the butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and egg yolk until pale and creamy.
2. Mix in the crushed pistachios until evenly dispersed.
3. Add half the flour and mix in, add the remaining flour and beat until the mixture starts to clump together as dough.
4. Bring together into a smooth ball using your hands; wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5/170C fan and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
6. Sprinkle flour onto the work surface and roll out the dough to 3-5mm thickness. Using a cookie cutter cut out shapes and carefully transfer each shape to the prepared baking trays.
7. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Leave to cool on the trays for five minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the icing combine the icing sugar and blood orange zest in a bowl. Stir in one tablespoon of blood orange juice at a time until you have a thin glaze. Transfer to a pouring jug.
9. Place a piece of greaseproof paper underneath the cooling rack then pour the glaze over each cookie lightly covering them. Leave to set before serving.
This recipe has been supplied by Lizzie Schofield. You can follow Lizzie on Twitter by searching @bakesbybutter. Visit Lizzie’s website at www.bakesbybutter.com for more recipes from her artisan bakery Bakes By Butter and to order your everyday cakes and cakes for special occasions.